Auto Glass FAQ's
Why is it important to fix my glass?
There are TWO reasons you should fix your glass
- Safety. Damaged glass or side mirrors can obstruct your ability to see other vehicles or other objects like that darting deer trying to check out your new rims. Protect yourself and your passengers by repairing or replacing any damaged glass or mirrors.
- It’s the law. In some states, it is illegal to drive a vehicle that has a damaged windshield or non-operating side mirrors. Guard against compounding the issue with a ticket, get your glass repaired or replaced.
What is the difference between repairing and replacement?
- When a repair is administered to glass, the process includes filling the break with resin that cures stopping any additional cracking of the glass.
- Replacing glass includes removing a damaged piece of glass and installing a new piece of glass. Our experts will consult with you once the damaged glass is reviewed. The rule of thumb is that any glass crack or breakage larger than a quarter should be replaced.
- Attending to your glass issue quickly can assist in the difference between a repair and replacement. If you are driving down the highway and a large truck kicks up some gravel and you get a chip in your windshield, you could prevent complete replacement by simply having the chip or crack addressed immediately.
- If you wait to have a chip or crack fixed, cold weather, potholes, the sun, a bumpy dirt road, or just about anything can cause additional cracking of the glass past the point of repair.
Where is the auto glass work done?
- Chip's Auto Glass is a mobile auto glass repair and replacement service. Our certified technicians will either come to your home or business and fix your damaged glass or you can drop your vehicle off at a neighborhood Tire Discounters store. Specific weather conditions like precipitation or extreme humidity do limit our mobile service. Our experts will consult with you on any adverse weather conditions that would preclude mobile service.
- We proudly serve the following areas: Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis, Lexington, Louisville, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Nashville and Atlanta.
- Find a physical location.
How long does it take to repair or replace my auto glass?
- Repair or replacement times vary by type of vehicle, materials used, and weather conditions. Our experts will provide you with a free estimate that outlines a timeline of repair or replacement and the Safe Drive Away Time (SDAT). This is a safe amount of time in which the adhesive used cures and the vehicle is safe to drive.
Do I need an insurance claim?
- No. In some cases, it is cheaper to have your glass repaired or replaced by paying cash or with your credit card.
- We work with all insurance providers.
What is ADAS and why is it important to recalibrate when I replace my windshield?
- Advanced technology systems inside these vehicles are starting to be commonplace in new vehicles. These features are called Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) and are designed to automate, adapt, and enhance vehicle systems for safety and better driving.
A very important factor to understand with windshields is that if your vehicle is not properly aligned with manufacturer specifications, your ADAS (safety systems) can be compromised. A replacement windshield that is slightly off, will significantly affect the ADAS connected to your windshield.
For more information on ADAS, how it works, and the importance of ADAS recalibration, click here.